Monday, March 7, 2016

Becoming a Sponge

It has only been the first day at the clinic and I have already feel like I have gain so much! Each person that I meet, the education that is shared, and the smiles that are on everyone’s faces is bringing me pure bliss! We left all of our textbooks and technology behind and applied what we have learned through written material into practice today. It was not easy to organize 35 baggage of luggage and communicate with the patients, but through teamwork we accomplished a successful day! The medical staff that we have the opportunity to work alongside are absolutely amazing. By observing Dr. Lauri, all the pediatric complications that I have been tested on came to life. She explained each scenario in depth and I will forever hold onto the valuable assessment skills she has taught me today. It is not just looking at the patient’s chart; it is taking your assessment and critically thinking about how to connect all the dots. Many smiles and thankfulness were exchanged with the villagers today. We thank them for the lessons they are able to teach us, and they thank us for the care we provide to them. Dr. Lauri stated it best to one of our patients, “This is how the world should be, and we should all share all knowledge with one another.” That is exactly what we did and what we will continue to do!

P.S. I also shattered my iPhone today. In the U.S. I would have freaked out and immediately gone to Apple but here it is not a worry. My goal is to become a sponge this week, trying to soak up every moment that I can. No need for an iPhone to accomplish that!


Lauren Francis

No comments: