Saturday, December 29, 2012

Dec. 29, 2012 Katie Scheidler

Greetings again!


Yes, again. My journey to Guatemala all started less than two years ago. If you know me, that is hard to believe. Less than two years! This year I am kicking off the blog from my warm bed in Cincinnati at 4:00 a.m. Our amazing team is about to embark on a new journey. Abie, the medical team, and I have all been to Patanatic before, but this journey will be new.

I am so blessed to be returning to this small and welcoming community in the western highlands of Guatemala. Our Mayan friends have graciously allowed me to return for a third time. This trip is special to me because my role is entirely new. On my first trip as a participant on this very important medical mission, I discovered hope amid a world in poverty. On my second trip, I became part of a Guatemalan family and learned, though my family lives in poverty, they do live...and beautifully! And now, I have the honor of helping organize the very trip that stole my heart just two years ago.

While I have no sweeping beautiful remarks about the breathtaking view in Patanatic or a startling realization from the abject poverty, I can promise you that the words you read from the participants will represent love pouring from their hearts. Breathe in their words and let the students open your eyes. For we must “never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.”

Peace,
Katie

No comments: