Friday, January 6, 2012

Anna Walsworth – Life lessons

Anna is a biology major and Spanish and chemistry minor from Geneva, IL.

Saludos de Guatemala! With only two full days left, it's hard to believe our week together is almost over. On the other hand, it's hard to believe a group of people can grow so close so quickly and experience what we have experienced. I couldn't have imagined better mentors or peers to share this trip with, all of who have become great friends.
I can't do justice to the wonderful people we have seen in the clinic. I think I speak for all of us when I say we've all considered bringing home one of the Guatemalan children - they are too cute. This morning I worked in triage, did some toothbrushing with the kids, and worked in our makeshift eyeglasses shop. Of the many people I fitted for glasses today, my favorite was a 65-year-old woman who walked in with no shoes and apologizing for her unwashed hair. She was blind in one eye and had horrible vision in the other. Rabbi Abie and I worked with her, handing her pair after pair of glasses until we found a pair that allowed her to see significantly better! The look on her face was rewarding enough, but she gave us hugs and kisses while thanking us repeatedly. I feel like I should be thanking these beautiful people in Patanatic for teaching me life lessons and giving me an experience I will never forget.

No comments: